Everybody loves a beagle. They are small and adorable and usually full of energy. In fact, they are one of the most popular dog breeds in the United States year after year. So where did they come from and what has made them such a popular choice for a household pet?
The beagle we know and love today traces its origins back to the early 1800s in Great Britain. Due to their superior sense of smell and keen tracking instincts, beagles were a popular hunting dog, used primarily for hunting hare (which is appropriately called beagling). The breed is popular today for its size, typically good temper, and a general lack of inherited health problems found in other popular breeds. Beagles have also been depicted in many famous forms of culture, the most famous being Snoopy from the Peanuts comic strip. Beagles are still a popular hunting dog today, but have become even more popular as house pets.
Are Beagles Hard to Train?
Due to their history as hunting dogs, beagles have an innately high amount of energy. Many people will love the boisterous attitude that beagles possess, but it can make them somewhat difficult to train. Most professional breeders agree, but that does not mean you should give up on training a beagle as well as you could train any other dog. In fact, beagles are especially smart animals, and a dedicated dog trainer can train them to listen to commands and overcome their instinct.
Beagles are fun and energetic, but their lack of focus can frustrate amateur trainers who are accustomed to working with more disciplined dog breeds. In order to properly train your beagle you will need to learn why they act the way they do, and what you can do to more effectively work with them. The dog trainers at Michael’s Pack have plenty of experience working with Beagles and have achieved great results in the past. If you are looking to train a beagle in your home, we can help.
Positive Reinforcement Beagle Training
At Michael’s Pack, we believe that positive reinforcement training is the only way to properly train an animal and that negative reinforcement techniques only serve to harm the relationship between you and your dog. We strongly believe that “Communication is Key” and that the training process should strengthen the relationship between you and your pet by building mutual respect and trust. The results we have seen over the years prove that positive reinforcement methods are the only way to get long lasting results from training.
At Home Beagle Training Services
At Michael’s Pack, we work with dogs and their owners to correct behavioral issues and build a strong, healthy relationship based on communication and mutual respect. The following are some of the services we offer to our New York and New Jersey clients. We are happy to address any specialized needs you may have.
- Puppy Training – The best time to train your dog is when they are a puppy, because they have no learned behaviors.
- Dog Obedience Training – We can design a specific program to target the problem areas for your new puppy or dog to get fast and lasting results through positive reinforcement.
- Leash Training (Walk and Heel) – The goal of this training is to teach your dog the heel command to make walks easier and more comfortable for you and your dog.
- Socialization – An important step in helping your dog grow up to be strong and confident among people and other dogs.
- We are approved Canine Good Citizen Certification Evaluators by the American Kennel Club.
- Behavioral Issues including but not limited to:
- Barking – Barking is a natural response for a dog, but it is possible to train your dog to stop barking in certain situations.
- Fear and Anxiety – Just like in humans, fear and anxiety is very real in dogs. Our professional trainers can help your dog overcome these issues.
- Separation Anxiety – It is common for puppies and dogs to feel uncomfortable when left alone. We can help your dog feel safe and comfortable in your home.
- Jumping – We can train your dog to only jump in certain situations and also teach commands to get them to stop.
- Chewing – We can show your puppy what is acceptable and what is off limits when it comes to chewing and/or nipping.
- Whining – Dogs whine when they are trying to convey that they want something. We can help dissuade excessive whining.
Contact Our Beagle Trainers Today
Michael Schaier and the rest of the team at Michael’s Pack are committed to helping New Jersey and New York clients train their dogs in their home environment in a way that will create a healthy, happy bond with your pet.
- Read our reviews on Google and Yelp as well as our client testimonials to find out more about the positive impact we can have on your dog.
Contact us today to schedule a consultation for in home beagle training or for training classes at our New York dog training center located at 220 E Jericho Turnpike, Mineola, NY 11501.
For our New Jersey Clients, we offer at home dog training services.